Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fast & Easy Creamy Enchiladas

Most every Sunday night we eat dinner at my parents house and my mom always sends me home with something (thanks mom ;-). So this week it was sautéed tri-colored bell peppers. Delish. I called her yesterday (3 times actually) to see what she was doing with her peppers and she said she was making enchiladas for dinner. Whatever she makes are always two things: low in calories and absolutely delicious! She gets recipes from all over and changes them to be lower in calories and to use what she has on hand. So when she said she was making enchiladas I was thinking to myself how they seem so time consuming. On the contrary! These were super fast and easy. The only difference was that she had already prepared chicken frozen in pieces and I had raw chicken.
So here it is:
Inside mixture
-1.3 lbs chicken (I used tenders bc they cook faster) rubbed with s & p, cumin and chili powder blend
-medium onion sliced
-1/2 pkg cream cheese
-sautéed peppers from my mom ;-)

Enchilada sauce
-1 or 2 cans green enchilada sauce
-I small container of fat free sour cream

1 package medium sized tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Sliced jalapeño (optional)

In a large skillet heat oil. Throw in onions and cook for a few, then add chicken. Let brown a bit...if it gets dry just splash it with the beer you're drinking ;-) Once the chicken is pretty much cooked (99%, but dont worry bc the chicken will cook completely in the oven, but yoi dont want it to dry out) take it put piece by piece, shred, and toss back in. Throw in peppers and cream cheese until is a creamy delicious mixture. Fill tortillas and roll up into a 13x9 dish. Mix up enchilada sauce and sour cream and pour over enchiladas. Add shredded cheese if you like and bake at 400 degrees covered for 20 mins and uncovered 10 mins. Let cool because these bad boys are gonna be H-O-T!

* If you want more enchilada flavor add another can and you can hold back a little in the sour cream. All up to you!

My mom is my domestic mentor and best friend. There's nothing she can't cook! I keep telling her she should have a blog too, healthy recipes, exercises and such. I'll let you know if she does! FYI: she is an exercise instructor and has been for 30+ years.

Hope you enjoy this recipe! I know I did :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment